Sunday 10 June 2018

From Saldan to IGUAZU FALLS. Mindblowing.

Adios Señor Jose. Thanks for being so awesome and looking after us all so well. Thanks for the great meals and thanks for waiting with me when the rest had all gone. I will miss you.. Gracias!
My stay at the Cordoba airport was pretty boring, but there was a moment or two of drama when I got stuck in the loo. The bolt became stuck and would not budge so in my non-existent Spanish and hand signals I asked for a screwdriver so I could simply unscrew the small screws and remove the bolt. That would leave the door without a bolt, but it could still be used and would save someone else getting stuck. But oh no. The passed a stool over the partition (fortunately a low one) and had another in the next door cubicle, which by now was filled with hysterical women. I made it without any obvious damage to my bits and had a good laugh before boarding my flight bound for Puerto Iguazu.
It was my first flight where I actually got to see some scenery, usually there has been too much cloud, or it has been dark, so it was nice to have something to look at.
The Puerto Iguazu township looks like a real tourist town with souvenir shops, restaurants and bars lining the main street. My hotel for tonight is right down the end of the city and is the first 5 star place I have stayed at. I generally avoid them as they lack the character of cheaper places and generally fill up with coach tours and people who don’t venture off the beaten track. But for $150 a night it seemed like a good deal and admittedly was wonderful to have a bit of luxury after so long on the road in more basic places. 
Dinner was in the restaurant and was a BBQ’d meat buffet and rather yummy, especially the BBQ offal which I piled onto my plate. As if I didn’t eat enough for main course I went back twice for fresh melon and pineapple with dulce de leche. Sucked big time. I had lost some weight but I think Señor Jose’s cooking put paid to that.
The next morning I had time before being collected so made it in time for breakfast and I was in heaven when I spied a toaster! Toast with dulce de leche and a pretty much OK coffee made for a damn good start to the day. The best reason for staying in a swanky place.
Señor Carlos, my guide for the day collected me as planned and we set off for the day. As we left the hotel he took me round the block to show me the spot where Brazil, Paraguay and Argentina were all visible and sharing their borders along the river. I must go back there tomorrow when I go to collect my bag which I left at the hotel.
I don’t know how to describe the falls. We caught a wee train up to the furtherest point and then walked quite a distance to the lookout for the main series of waterfalls. Not only was the height of the falls mind boggling, but looking along this row of water it seems like there is water gushing out of every nook and cranny and crashing over the side. It was like a massive wall of water. The sound was deafening; the spray every now and then getting caught in the wind and blowing back over us, the feeling when you look at it is one of disbelief. Little did I know then but what I could see at that first viewing platform at Devil’s Throat is just a small part of the entire complex of around 275 individual falls.
Today I only covered the nature reserve/viewing on the Argentine side. Tomorrow I will go to the Brazilian side where apparently you get a broader picture. This side there are so many falls right under your feet that you can’t get a true picture of the breadth of it. The train and boardwalk system means you can walk for around 9km looking at the various falls and viewing the main falls from different angles. Mind blowing!!!! 
Both sides have their own Nature Reserve, and both sides have a posh hotel within the reserve. There is also substantial forests on both sides. Today we saw monkeys, coaties, lovely birds, moths and butterflies; just beautiful. 
Señor Carlos bought me over the border to Brazil, having to check out of Argentina, travel across the ‘no mans land’ bridge and then get stamped in to Brazil. He dropped me at my hotel, the Del Rey, where I am being collected from for tomorrows jaunt. I was hoping to have a nap. Everyone else is siesta’ing except for some bod outside my room doing some sort of DIY and banging the hell out of something. OK not time for a nap so I go walkabout looking for lunch. 
The place I spied on the way had queues out the door so I kept walking, looking for an ATM to get some Real. No joy but I have a visa card so no problem. Eventually something tugged at me and I went into a Lebanese bakery that also had Lebanese light meals. A couple of mouthwateringly good kofta, paired with sliced onion and parsley and encased in fresh pitta bread was beyond good. I initially only ordered one but it was so good I got a second one. They were both so good I then bought a pile of Lebanese sweets to take back to my room for breakfast. Ha ha. If they make it that long. The knaffe is peeking out of the wrapper at me so I can see that being devoured for supper and not making it till morning. 
......I had a wee nap, couldn’t be bothered going out so devoured the sweets for dinner. Nothing left for breakfast!!!!
Look out for the update from the Brazilian side tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

and the EPILOGUE..............

Having been home a week I’ve now had time to reflect on my trip and to go through all my photos which have reminded me of the things that ha...