Monday 11 June 2018

Iguazu Falls from Brazil.

My day started with an exceptionally long hot shower. A real treat considering some of the sub standard ones I’ve had of late. This was not only hot, but there was a torrent of water; quite appropriate when I was just a few kilometres from the most amazing waterfalls on the Brazilian side. 
My Urban Adventures driver Antonio was there waiting at 9:00am as promised. I was the only person on the tour so it was pretty cool (as was yesterday when again I was a group of one) and even though the trip included a few extras I suggested we just go to the falls and forget the other stuff. That is just what we did. 
This side of the river is a bit different with only 20% of the falls on the Brazilian side but amazing panoramic views of the Argentine side that we saw close up yesterday. This truly showed just how wide the falls are (2.7km) and how different each of the falls are from each other, both in height (82m the highest) and in breadth (Devils Throat the widest). 
Not only did we get a panoramic view but we also got up close and drenched from one of the Brazilian falls right there in front of us. The noise was deafening, the spray soaked us and it was almost like the ground was vibrating from the force of the water. It was breathtaking: words just do not suffice. 
All around little coaties ran in between the throngs of people; so cute and so fearless. They are obviously used to the hoards. 
As amazing as the last couple of days have been it also confirmed why I hate going to tourist spots amongst gazillions of people all trying to get a selfie with no regard for anyone else. I’m so glad it was off season and they weren’t at capacity. Even though I travel to learn about the people food and culture I also get to learn about the tourist that cares about nothing more than a photo of themselves in every possible pose.
I was over the crowds, seen what I wanted to see and we hopped in the panoramic lift to take us back to street level. My last glimpse of Iguazu Falls was through the misty glass of the elevator. A magical experience and, despite the many people there, one I’m glad I have ticked off. 
Señor Antonio, a very chatty and lovely guide, took me all the way back to Argentina at the end of the trip. Before collecting my bag from the Amerian Hotel where I left it I visited the Triple Frontier, a tri-border area along the junction of Paraguay, Argentina, and Brazil, where the Iguazú and Paraná rivers converge. For us kiwis living on an island its weird that three countries can border one another. I had thought of going to Paraguay for a day (there’s a bridge from Brazil) until I found out that scores of people shoot over the border each day for duty free shopping. Neither the scores of people nor the shopping were appealing. 
I collected my suitcase from the Amerian Hotel and grabbed a cab to take me to my new home for two nights: Iguazú Jungle Lodge. Heaven. A room that looks out on to the Iguazú river and some of the Jungle, set away from the city. I can hear the rumble of the river from my room, just paradise.  
The restaurant has a great reputation so I tried it for lunch. It lived up to the reputation. Firstly a selection of fresh breads and dips; humus, tapenade and baba ganouch. I’m sold already. 
Too much to choose from on the menu but a half size bottle of Mendoza Malbec was a good start, and then grilled sweetbreads which were drizzled with lime and just divine. 
The ‘Caesar Salad’ wasn’t a real Caesar, but then I’m used to that. It was however pretty much ok had it not been for the chunks of dry tasteless chicken that they felt the need to include, and the iceberg lettuce instead of cos. Oh well it was still enjoyable and something different for a change.
My afternoon was exhausting, not! A wee nap restored my energy before I walked into the township to have a nose. As I headed in I watched the sun setting in the distance. Tomorrow I want to see it from my room, over the river.  Stunning.
It’s only a small town so there wasn’t much of interest, but I had a wander round the shops, bought some pastries as I didn’t feel like real food and walked back to the hotel.  
Ready for bed the only thing I can hear is the occasional chirp from a bird and the rumble of the river below. Magic. A day of doing nothing tomorrow before I head back to Buenos Aires and then to Uruguay.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

and the EPILOGUE..............

Having been home a week I’ve now had time to reflect on my trip and to go through all my photos which have reminded me of the things that ha...