Thursday 24 May 2018

Hopping on and off in Quito

Today was the day for the hop-on hop-off trip, mainly as an easy way of getting up to the statue but also to get a glimpse of the new part of Quito.
I got to the stop close to home and realised that the street was closed off (parade for 24 May celebration Ecuadors Liberation from the Spanish) so doubled back to the stop high on the hill near the Basilica. The combination of an early morning, very steep hill and high altitude made for tough going and I was puffing like a train by the time I got to the stop. But the bus arrived and I got my seniors 50% discount with a photocopy of my passport. 
Going round these massive bends I cant help but marvel at the drivers. They do hairpin bends with ease even when its in a huge gradient and how the triple concertina ones do it I have no idea. We need to send kiwis here to learn how to drive
It took 20 minutes up this windy windy road till we got to the top of the hill at 3,100 metres. This is the highest have been to date and the air is starting to get thin, breathing takes a bit of effort but otherwise it’s all good. 
We had a break at the top so enjoyed some freshly made pristinos and took a few pics - I was amazed at how spread out the city is, it goes on and on and on, all round the hill. The statue is 41m tall at the highest point and made up of 7,000 squares of aluminium, each feature of the statue symbolising parts of their culture/religion. 
Quito metropolitan area has a population of around 3million. At its lowest part it is around 2,500metres and at it’s highest around 4,700metres being the approx height of two of the volcanoes that surround the city. It is believed to be the second highest Capital City in the world and is the closest to the Equator.
The Old city was the first ever Unesco heritage site and although it is beautifully maintained it has not lost its character. The city is surrounded by a series of volcanoes, some craters have people living in them although still considered active. 
I noticed that there were lots of streets being chopped up and was told that its for the new metro going in. There are so many busses, mainly new so obviously more public transport is needed. 
As we drove back past Plaza Grande and the Palace we were just in time to see a parade and laying of a wreath in honour of those who died during the liberation period.
Our trip takes us along the base of one of the volcanoes, past the teleferique base and through into the new part of the city. Most of the new city has only been built within the last 40 -50 or so years and it is rather gorgeous with big parks, wide boulevards and some stunning buildings. If it wasn’t for the wares of the street vendors you could be in any big modern city. 
Plaza Foch which I’d heard lots about was a big disappointment especially since I hopped off the bus especially to explore. It might be fun by night but by day it was just a bunch of international restaurants including the one I stopped at for over cooked prawns and luke warm pineapple juice at lunchtime. 
I wandered on to another beautiful park, El Ejido, on the way stopping at an artisan market full of tourist junk and a superb gift shop. Eventually I reboarded the bus and hopped off at La Rhonda not far from home, which I was told is where the artists and artisans hang out. All I can say is that they must have been sleeping. Other than one guy making a gold photo frame there were no artists in sight. 
But it was a nice walk up to Plaza Grande where half the neighbourhood was just hanging out. I wonder if they are here because of the celebrations or if it is what they do on a daily basis. 
It struck me how clean the place is, and also what great condition the footpaths are in. Despite most of the roads in the old city are cobbled, they too are in good condition. It really doesn’t feel like a developing country and the people are the smiliest I have seen. 
Again, like yesterday at this time, it started to rain. I was stuffed so made my way home, collected my laundry from Senorita Lucia, $7 for 5 tops, pair of shorts and a pile of undies. Not even worth trying to do it myself.

Tomorrow I am being collected at 9:00am to be taken to the airport, for my flight to Coca, the nearest place to the Amazon jungle lodge I’m staying at. On arrival at Coca I transfer to a motorised boat to take me up the river. This will be my one splurge of the trip. All my other travel has been low key, hotels have all been character filled and lovely but no frills and quite frankly thats the way I prefer them. It gives me a chance to understand some of the local culture through the way people live. But Sacha Lodge looks just a tad spec. and I can’t wait. A long hot shower will be my first indulgence. Now it’s time to pack. I already have a list of places to explore when I get back. 

6 comments:

  1. Have fun! The Amazon river is very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comments are making me excited. Can't wait till I get there soon now��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im up the Amazon with a pile of people who are heading to the Galapagos when they leave here.
      Amazon posts to come later.

      Delete
  3. Amazing blog as usual. ..thank you.

    ReplyDelete

and the EPILOGUE..............

Having been home a week I’ve now had time to reflect on my trip and to go through all my photos which have reminded me of the things that ha...