Wednesday 23 May 2018

Quito - your old city is too beautiful

What a start to my Ecuador experience. I’m getting a bit over having to get dressed to go for a coffee and this morning did so begrudgingly. 
I’d had the best sleep in a long time waking only to the peal of church bells from afar. I dragged clothes on and wandered down to the cutest courtyard where Senorita Lucia and Senorita Elizabeth were waiting. It took a bit of convincing that I didnt want a full breakfast - just coffee. In the end I relented and had the Grenadiya, similar to passionfruit but yellow outside and the inside pale yellow with the black seeds. The taste far more mellow than the passionfruit and very yum. I was then bought a juice which Senorita Lucia explained was tamarillo juice and which was bright orange and delicious. She was so lovely and wanted to explain how the tree tomato differed from a regular tomato. The americano topped it off. At last a decent breakfast coffee. 
Senorita Lucia was waiting when I went downstairs with Senor Patricio (family business?) and had a map and information ready. 
I headed off.......
You will imagine my delight when next block down I find the chocolate shop that I was planning on seeking out. Walking through the door was like walking into the best thing imaginable. Here they actually make chocolate so the smell was strong but divine. I had to leave but knew I would be making more visits to this wonderland.
The local square was intriguing with lots of little alleys and gems shooting off in all directions.  
I spent the afternoon just wandering, people watching, checking out a couple of museums, the best one being the Museo de la Cuidad, where for my $3 entrance fee I got an introductory chat and then wandered through magnificent exhibitions portraying the history of Ecuador and this gorgeous city. The museum is housed in what used to be a hospital and also covered the ancient healing methods and the transition to modern medicine. One of the best museums I have seen and I loved the wee square set in the middle of the complex.
There are gorgeous (and some totally over the top) churches everywhere. To write about each would take days but some were gorgeous:
The basilica was the standout and despite having climbed all the way to the top of the belfry for photos I was not too exhausted to take pics of the church as well. Truly gorgeous:
A massive aluminium statue(the largest aluminium statue in the world) on El Panecillo hill (Little Loaf hill) looks down on the old city: that will be my next trek.
Lunch was sticky, honey drenched Pristinos, similar to greek loukoumades and oh so good, the honey dripping off the crunchy pastry.  The Pristinos were followed by a torte and coffee at the chocolate shop: too delicious to describe, but layers of soft chocolate sponge, held together with caramel sauce and coated with chocolate ganache might give you the idea.
While I sat I was trying to plan for tomorrow and had my map at the ready. It really was sad when I was trying to enlarge a paper map by spreading my fingers and getting peed off when the map doesnt enlarge but the paper kept moving. Duh. Just stick to google maps girl, they do as they are told. 
Just as I arrived back at the hotel the thunder rolled in and the heavens opened up so I took the opportunity to catch up on sorting a few bits of my trip out. 
Dinner was a bit posh, with the rain only just having stopped the place was deserted when I ventured out so I stopped at the first place that was open ‘Pekaraz’ on the grand square.  The menu sounded lovley and my first course, a sampler of empanadas - Bandejas Ecuadoriana was yum .  
Can’t say the same for the second entree which was prawns in coconut milk - camarones en choco (I had coconut crusted fried prawns in my head when I ordered) and not nice at all but oh well it was food and they had wine by the glass -a lovely tinto (red) from Portugal as you do.
My first day in this gorgeous place with lots more exploring to do tomorrow

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I hadn't realised that you have some "blond" in you �� (the map)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt embarrased for myself. Lack of caffeine and the altitude!!!

    ReplyDelete

and the EPILOGUE..............

Having been home a week I’ve now had time to reflect on my trip and to go through all my photos which have reminded me of the things that ha...