Saturday 9 June 2018

The end of my volunteering stint

Third day on the project and it was super. A few faces lit up when I said hello and some of them are at the hugging stage so I really felt welcomed. The activity for today was with five secondary students and their teacher. He sung for us, beautifully and the kids facilitated a series of hangman games. It seems many of the elderly (some younger than me) do not have a good grasp of the alphabet so I was quite chuffed that not only could I contribute letters but also helped some of them with letters to make up a word that I recognised. It was great that I had picked up a bit, but so sad for them that they don’t know their mother language so cant read a book, follow sub-titles, read labels etc. But they all seem to have a great sense of humour and are very caring of us and of one another. 

One lady, Christina, has obviously had a stroke and does not have use of one side of her body. She is so lovely and gives us all big hugs. We have been cutting pieces of fabric for her which she is using to make a rag rug. How she does it with one hand I don’t know but she is so patient and proud of what she has done - rightly so.

Everyone is drinking mate (the green tea I had when I first arrived in Argentina), it is part and parcel of their culture and the bowls get passed around from person to person by the maker. Such a traditional thing and such a great way for passing bugs around. They have left me out of it as I told them I have ‘grippe’ and so they don’t want to catch my bugs (I have the sniffles because the weather is so cold but it has served me well.)
Project over for the day and I went on a mission to get a decent coffee, which after a long trek, I managed to do. On the same walk I was trying to get cash from an ATM. Some do not like my card full stop, others only have machines for their customers and others will give a max of 1,000 peso. =$50. They charge about 150.00 peso for each transaction and then my bank takes $7.50 as well do the $50 becomes $35. No way am I doing that. So it is a trek into Cordoba tomorrow. A good excuse not to do another Spanish class but really annoying. I haven’t had these sorts of issues anywhere else and getting a bit over it.
The afternoon was spent just chatting with our project manager to see how we were getting along. I had a few gripes but hopefully got them sorted. Senor Jose keeps everything running superbly and cooks the best food but is seldom acknowledged by some of the volunteers and I feel bad for him. As a result he is feeling uncomfortable and is withdrawing from us, so everyone is missing out. Makes me so angry. But I am only here for a bit longer so should just leave it at that.

Project day four.
This was the last day on the project and it was lovely. The ladies were just so happy to see us and today a pedicurist and manicurist came along to do their nails. They were so excited and loved being complimented on their beautiful nails. We didn’t have anything specific to do so I helped make some little booklets out of scrap paper for kids. Goodness if they were given to our kids the kids would ditch them without a second thought but the kids that get them apparently are thrilled. That sort of thing is a real eye opener and makes you realise just how privileged and indulged many of our kids are, when they want designed stationery!!!
Our goodbyes were said. Ellie leaves today after 8 weeks on the project and the lovely people just adore her. It was tears all round with the olds and hard for her too, especially knowing that what she has done over the 8 weeks is not going to be continued.
Ellie and I went for coffee, solved the problems of the world and then I went in to test the cash machines in my old neighbourhood in Cordoba and do some shopping. I ended up in the great coffee shop over the road from where I stayed and had another chunk of that divine cake and an excellent espresso duble.
Next stop on the way back to Saldan was at Paseo Rivera, a small but delightful shopping mall. I hung out there for a bit, bought a couple of things I wanted then headed home on a bus going the long way round. It was great to see the neighbouring townships, even if it was just a drive past. 
Ellies last night here so Señor Jose is cooking a special dinner with guests invited to join us. Señor Julio, the project manager, his son Pedro, our Spanish teacher Romina and our first day guide Martina all stayed for dinner. It was neat to have new faces and people to talk with rather than being talked at, as we have over the past week by a certain grown woman who did not have an off switch. The same woman, who with her friend wanted everything, complained about everything but didn’t participate, lift a finger, or do anything to help themselves, and unforgiveably treated Jose as if he was their lacky. Most nights I have set the table or washed up after meals (We knew what we had to do as a group), partly because I didn’t want to leave it to Jose but also because It was appropriate to do so. Tonight I sat back and waited to see what would happen. One of the adult women opened the door to the dining room, asked if dinner was ready, told “not yet, wont be far away” and promptly closed the door and went back to her room, no attempt to come and get things organised. Got it I saw red. Fortunately the project manager had also picked up on the attitude and was also seeing red.
Jose cooked us “Choripan”, a traditional Argentine meal mainly eaten around this area and ever so delicious. A big FAT seasoned pork sausage, with braised onions, capsicum and seasonings all ensconced in a fat bread roll. I don’t like stuff wrapped in bread so had the bread on the side but even so it was delicious. Watching the faces sitting opposite me savouring every mouthful and deftfully using their tongue to lick the residue from around their mouth just added to the taste trip. It was a fun dinner and we all chatted and laughed. Best dinner atmosphere in a week. Desert was a lemon meringue pie which I had picked up for Ellie’s sake as she had never eaten one. Delicioso!
Dinner over I sat tight determined not to clear up and suddenly the two that had not lifted a finger all week burst into action and started to make out they were contributing. It was so funny to watch the act and even funnier to hear the comments that reinforced that everyone knew it was an act.
Anyway time to say goodbyes, which was rather sad as the project team are lovely and I appreciated the short stint I managed to have. Ellie left at 4:00am and despite the very noisy music I managed to get a few hours sleep before getting up to say bye. That was sad and I dont think I would have survived the week without her.
Byes said I went back to bed on the couch (I had moved out of my bed, so one of the kids that was sick could have a room to themselves overnight) and slept like a baby. Woke to find the two ‘adults’ had packed all belongings and gone - having said they were going for the weekend. Spineless, rude, inconsiderate, arrogant and every other word I can think of. But the atmosphere in the house was so much nicer with their departure. Yay.
The kids are off to Cordoba for the weekend so the place is mine till I get collected to go to the airport for my flight to Iguazu Falls. Can’t wait. I’m even excited about doing some domestics before I leave.
It has been a great experience, although not what I expected I still feel like I made a contribution to the lives of some of the old people and apart from the two immature adults in my group enjoyed spending time with them. Never in my life, and I have met some pretty awful people, have I met more childish adults. I felt embarrassed for the way they behaved and the disrespect they showed everyone.  It was even worse in that they both had advice for everyone and knew everything, they just didnt understand that their behaviour was far from acceptable in any circumstance.
OK got it off my chest and time for the next adventure.  

2 comments:

  1. You could have given them some feedback as they obviously lack to ability to self reflect ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They knew best about everything and would not have listened. In their heads they were perfect! Scary

    ReplyDelete

and the EPILOGUE..............

Having been home a week I’ve now had time to reflect on my trip and to go through all my photos which have reminded me of the things that ha...