Sunday 3 June 2018

Welcome to Saldan. The start of my volunteering week.

Senora Margot collected me from the Hotel and took me by cab to the village of Saldan which is where I will be staying for the next six nights.  It’s a tiny wee place outside of Villa Allende which is where I thought I was staying and when I arrived the power in the whole village was out!  This seems to be a recurring theme.  At least there isn’t a lift here.
It’s freezing but at least here in the common areas there is gas heating and upstairs is a lovely sun filled lounge.  The two existing   volunteers Ellie and Cole were great in welcoming me and I met the utterly crazy but gorgeous Senor Jose who is the cook, housekeeper, welcome person.  I requested a single room and that is a double bunked basic room next to the kitchen.  It will be lovely once there is power and I can turn the heater on but no one knows when power is likely to come on. In the meantime no wifi, no lights. 
Senor Jose rustled up some scrambled eggs for breakfast and, despite not being a scrambled egg fan, it was mega yum. 
Newbie Chase from Australia (but of kiwi parents) made an appearance and introduced a new game of cards.  Then we met Erin and Pamela arrived; both from the US. 
Much of the day was spent hanging out watching others play cards and generally lolling.  A walk around the village took 5 minutes and we don’t have our initiation till tomorrow so not sure how we fill our time here. I guess I will find out.
Connie and Marchela, two ‘older’ women from the US soon arrived and we all just hung out doing nothing and trying to keep warm. The village is tiny, it is Sunday so nothing is open, its freezing outside so not a lot of options but I did have a great shower and managed to wash my hair in HOT water. Put my pj’s on under my clothes,  not only as an extra layer but to save me getting undressed in the cold later. Senor Jose is apparently cooking us chicken tonight,  but word has it that it wont be till late. Stomachs are rumbling so a few of us walk round the village till we found a store that was open. CC’s do the trick with a bottle of wine. Perfecto!
As we returned we ran into Senor Jose stoking a fire which was slowly cooking some splayed chickens.  It took a while but my god was it worth waiting for.  Dinner was one of the best meals I have had since I left home and without a doubt the best in Argentina.  Perfectly cooked, juicy, succulent, and divinely seasoned chicken, with the best tomatoes I’ve had in a long time, romaine lettuce and a very very tasty potato salad, with egg, spring onion, garlic and the best seasoning. A sprinkling of a lavender balsamic on the tomatoes was the icing on the cake. They were heaven without it but something extra special with the drizzle of lusciousness.  I think its the first meal I have gone back for seconds on everything and easily surpassed that which I have eaten in most restaurants.   Desert was yum, simple and delicious, so delicious that I ate the spare one too: tinned fruit with a dollop of dulce de leche. My only regret is that I didn’t take a before photo.  An after photo was unnecessary as there was nothing left. Senor Jose you have given me the biggest boost in a long time. I’m really looking forward to a week of your cooking.  

Not much to do, some watched tv, others slept upstairs, I mucked about and the rest went to bed straight after dinner.  Looking forward to tomorrow when we go on an initiation tour of Cordoba and Villa Allende before our placement starts on Tuesday.  But now time for bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

and the EPILOGUE..............

Having been home a week I’ve now had time to reflect on my trip and to go through all my photos which have reminded me of the things that ha...