Monday 4 June 2018

Orientation Day.

Breakfast done and we are off for a quick orientation around Saldan, to the bus stop and then on a bus off to Cordoba for an orientation of the city. We walked through parts of the city that were far prettier and more interesting than where I went the other day and definitely worth another look. 
From there we caught a bus back to Villa Allende for an orientation of the nearest city to Saldan and where my project work will be. Lunch was at a place that did Lomito, a classic dish in Cordoba (essentially a roll filled with steak and garnish similar to a burger but with the steak). I’m neither a sandwich nor a burger fan so I ordered empanadas and they were the tastiest I have had. Very very good with a hint of spice and very tasty mince mix. 
Villa Allende (pronounced Vija Ajende here. If you were from Bienos Aires it would be pronounced Visha Ashende, or other parts of Spanish speaking South American it would be pronounced Viya Ayende) is a lovely town and looks as though there are plenty of amenities and things to see. Hope I get a chance to explore some more but I suspect not. 
Once we got home we sat and waited for our programme leader to come to fill us in on what we would be doing for our volunteer work. I’ll be on a community project working in a oldies day care. Not my preference but oh well. It is only for a few days. I’m not convinced I will be of any use to anyone for the four days I will be here but will give it my best and hope that my presence will be useful. 
A hot shower before dinner was the thrill of the evening and then it was time for another of Senor Jose’s meals. He is the zaniest person I have ever met, breaking into song and dancing at the drop of a hat for no reason, mad as a meataxe in a lovely kind of way. But he is a great cook and makes sure we have everything we need as well as teaching us Spanish and giving us a laugh. I’m sure he needs the sense of humour to get through. It can’t be an easy job. 
A delicious heartwarming vegetable soup; silverbeet, courgettes, garlic, tomato, rice, carrot. Total bliss sending me back to Nona’s days. It was delicious. 
It was hard to beat but the spaghetti with a vege. sauce and added sausage, smothered with parmesan was superb, comforting and full of yumminess. Thanks Senor Jose. 
The last few days have been really laid back and what I needed. I hope by the time I leave here my energy levels will have returned and I will be ready to hit the ground running when I leave. The break has been great but I’m getting itchy feet and want to get moving again. I might even manage to learn a little bit more Spanish with two Spanish lessons before I go plus a dance class tomorrow. Bring it on. 
My last words for the night were to Senor Jose. “Buenos Noches Senor, kali nichta”. He shrugged his shoulders  and laughed not having any idea what I said. 

2 comments:

  1. And... what does it mean? I can't make sense of it either ��

    ReplyDelete

and the EPILOGUE..............

Having been home a week I’ve now had time to reflect on my trip and to go through all my photos which have reminded me of the things that ha...