Tuesday 29 May 2018

Amazon Basin you have been amazing.

Our last day at Sasha Lodge started with a sleep in till 6:30am. Time to get our bags out onto our balcony for collection, have breakfast and make for our dock. It was hosing down and the thought of another day feeling wet and uncomfortable wasn’t pleasant. The poncho’s are hot and stuffy and not totally waterproof. When they get wet they stick to you and are quite gross. I’m glad I packed my own wee parka.
I have absolutely loved this wee jaunt into the jungle and so pleased I have done it. It didn’t have the magnificence of Africa but most definitely had serenity, green and critters in abundance. The lodge and the whole experience was superb. Our every need catered for and not a thing left to chance. It was stunning. Although it rains here around 280 days per year I’d like to come back when it wasn’t so wet as the humidity was pretty tough.
From the little that we saw of the native Kichwa people they are hard working, innovative people receptive to change and making the most of tourism but without letting go of their roots.  Our native guide Wilson knew everything there was to know about the creatures of the jungle; he had been part of it since he was a child and it was all second nature.  The people that we met at the village were making them most of what tourism could provide for them but ta the same time living their humble lifestyle without letting go of their roots. I would have loved the opportunity for more interaction with them.
But now we are on our way. Across the lagoon and down the tributary in the dugouts, a gentle walk to the dock and then we boarded the motorised canoe up the Napo River. The serenity of the surroundings sadly were ruined by a turkey American at the back of the canoe who did not stop talking in a loud voice the whole trip. It gave us something to laugh about but sadly detracted from the tranquility and stunning trip.
A virtually empty plane, where we all stretched out, bought us back to Quito, and a cabbie deposited me at my home, the lovely Casa Hotel Las Plazas, where I was greeted with open arms and taken back to my room no 16. 
Time for a rest day today, catching up on bits and piece’s and not venturing far with a chance to reflect upon my three days in the largest rain forest in the world. Amazing..  

No comments:

Post a Comment

and the EPILOGUE..............

Having been home a week I’ve now had time to reflect on my trip and to go through all my photos which have reminded me of the things that ha...