Sunday 29 April 2018

Leaving on a jet plane.

Leaving on a jet plane
Checking in at the airport check in was a breeze at a kiosk. A couple of helpful, happy and polite young guys helped me with my bag label and showed me where to queue (no signs or anything). 

I was flying LATAM which meant I had to join a very long non-moving queue with all the others that had not checked in (and priority flyers). At the ‘gate’ to the check-in space was a snotty young man and a grumpy woman, both controlling the flow of people to the check-in/bag drop lines. The rudest people I have struck in any airport and they inspired me to pull the ipad out of my luggage to do a rant. 

If flying LATAM from EZE be prepared. I’m glad I gave myself plenty of time.   30 minutes and have moved 20 steps.  People that are travelling with others seem to be taking turns having a break.  Snotty and Grumpy have stopped showing people through as the check in line is packed, so the rest of us that have either checked in or paid for a priority are left waiting outside of the queue. The most insane system I have ever seen (if system is the right word). 

Snotty is now having a go at a pile of travellers so the queue is held up while she argues with these people. Oh I wish I understood. I have moved three more steps in the last 20 minutes. 

And am now in the queue one hour after arriving ushered into the line with those that have not checked in. There are about 80 people still ahead of me and just as many behind.  We board in 10 minutes.  Ha ha ha. This is the flight that replaced the flight they cancelled on me. Sorry LATAM. I have a few more flights with you ahead but never again. 

2 hours after I arrived I am re-checked in and given a new baggage tag.  My boarding pass shows a different departure time to my itinerary and also to the departure boards (which shows the flight as being on time) but at the gate I am assured I am in the right place and the flight has been delayed (probably so they can get everyone checked in).  

We wait at the boarding lounge for a while then the queueing starts again.  Announcements only in Spanish and no one checked my boarding pass so I guess I am now on the correct flight with screaming baby in the row right behind me. 

Now its not like I am a novice traveller and I have been to a few rather backward and insane places, but today’s effort takes the cake.  Never before and hopefully it wont be repeated for my next LATAM flight or when I depart to come home.  I have been warned.  Luckily I managed to change to this flight as they wanted to put me on to a flight that was to leave at 4:00am. I would have been even less impressed. 

Service on board was great, a drink, croissant and a big chocolate. More than I can say for our 2 hr flights.  

As we crossed the Andes we are warned that there may be turbulence, which I was expecting earlier given that it was so stormy in BA.  The turbulence didn’t eventuate thankfully. But what a shame we can’t see much as it is now almost dark due to our late departure.  As we approached landing we could clearly see the peaks of the Andes silhouetted against the orange sun setting sky.  Stunning and worthy of a pic had I not had to crawl over people to do just that. 

Hola Santiago! I do hope you are worth the wasted hours earlier today.  So far so good; and orderly alighting, immigration a doddle with pleasant staff and now perched at the baggage carousel looking forward to escaping to Chilean soil. 


Buenas Noches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

and the EPILOGUE..............

Having been home a week I’ve now had time to reflect on my trip and to go through all my photos which have reminded me of the things that ha...